Saturday

Modern Theatre- Always the love interest

Since we are on the subject of plays, I have recently been a theatre star. July 15-29, 2012 there were performances of Moon Saga, a pseudo-historical saga of swordsmanship, the supernatural and romance.
The famous singer and actor GACKT acted the lead role of Minamoto no Yoshitsune, a naive and innocent young man afraid of the power of one hundred demons sealed within his body by Benkei. Because he is still pure-hearted he is still able to see mononoke and questions the discrimination between mononoke and humans. Apparently he feels something more than friendship for Yoshinaka and is in love with Tomoe, although he does not speak of it.



 
Well this is awkward....
 
Benkei would be so mad with all this superstitious junk. Sure Yoshitsune was naive, but he also had a rather short-tempered side and (don't let him know I said this) his swordsmanship kind of fell apart at the end and he was nowhere near as handsome as GACKT!
 
Looks like once again I am relegated to 'love interest'. What else could I be with that kind of 'armor'? I would be dead the second the first arrow was fired at me! Putting that aside though, why can I never be a romantically unentangled woman? In the Heike Monogatari I am called a "female attendant" which usually means something like a court attendant, someone who acts as a companion and trusted servant. However, mythos usually has me enmeshed in some sort of relationship. Usually it is to Yoshinaka, as his wife, consort or prostitute and when he dies, I am either rumored to die with him or become a nun. Other legends state that after I fled Awazu, I was beaten in battle by Wada Yoshimori and became his wife and after his death, a nun at Echizen.



No comments:

Post a Comment